15.0 Tactics and strategy
15.0 Tactics and strategy
Here are some tips regarding how to become a successful Dunk player.
Or at least some tips to avoid being an idiot.
Wars are very expensive in Dunk. It may seem cheap to buy 10 armies as
an orc. But then you see that they cost 3 gold each to support and
most of them are in provinces which they can not plunder.
Therefore it is important to only make war when you have something
Here are some examples of when war is a very bad idea:
- Attacking dwarves in their mountains. This is especially a bad
idea if you are an orc. When you conquer a province, the dwarves will
revolt. Then you surely end up with a mountain with no dwarves which
gives no income. It is also very slow to march into a mountain
province and the dwarves fight well in mountains.
- Attacking elves in forests with sky_castles. They are almost
- Attacking Ducks at sea. Ducks fight very well at sea.
- Attacking orcs without much backup.
- Attacking a mage kingdom that is in peace and only has a short
common border with your kingdom. This may be no problem with
And some examples of when war is a good idea.
- When the elven kingdom next to you kingdom claims some non-forest
- When some dwarves think that it is a nice idea to camp on the plains.
- When the ducks try to walk on land.
- When you think that the forest/mountain/sea does not
belong to anyone other than elves/dwarves/ducks.
- When a kingdom grows too big you have to attack. It might not
seem as a good idea, but with some allies this will be no problem.
- When a kingdom is almost history, it might be a good idea
to take what is left before someone else does it.
But make sure to end the war quickly. Otherwise you will end up
far behind other kingdoms. The evil orc-kingdom may have occupied
five of your land-provinces, but if you just defend yourself, they
will not continue into the forest or mountain.
It is not only important to get many friends, but also to handle you
enemies in a good way. If you strike them in an "honourable" way, it
will be easier to make peace with them and to explain your aggression
to your allies.
Try these explanations in your ears:
Especially the last explanations says "Afterwards, when I have grown stronger,
I will attack you.". This will make even very loyal allies sending some
technologies to the attacked kingdom...
- The evil orcs have nothing to do on my sea!
- A have to attack them to help my ally who is in trouble.
- It is a weak kingdom so I will eliminate them just because
- I need to expand and this was the only possible choice.
Sending technologies to a kingdom that surely will die is often a good
idea. This will keep the war's winners busy a little longer. Sometimes
even gold may be a good idea. Why not send 20 gold to the poor orc-kingdom
and thus creating things that will cost over 60 gold for your
enemy-in-the-future to eliminate?
Always try get get as many technologies as you can. Even if you have
no use of some of them, you can trade them with other kingdoms. Just be
aware that the value of technologies vary and the cost to develop
a technology is in no way correlated with its value.
Read the description of the technology and set your own price!
Back to the contents for the Dunk-rules